Walls and Bridges
"We build too many walls and not enough bridges."
• Season 1 : From Thursday, January 27th to Friday, February 4th 2011
• Season 2 : From Monday, April 11th to Thursday, April 21st 2011
• Season 3 : From Wednesday October 19th to Friday, October 28th 2011
Walls and Bridges
Walls and Bridges, the Franco-American arts and ideas series, is returning to New York for a third season.Curated by the Villa Gillet (director: Guy Walter) and presented by France’s Conseil de la création artistique (general representative: Marin Karmitz), Walls and Bridges is a 10-day series of performances and critical explorations uniting French and American thinkers and performers from the social sciences, philosophy and live arts.This season’s wide selection of events spans more than 20 debates, concerts, dance performances, screenings, exhibitions and even a transatlantic haute cuisine picnic. In addition, “Infinite Affinities,” a special series sponsored in part by the Institut Français and co-curated by Les Subsistances, a creative research laboratory based in Lyon and philosophers Avital Ronell and François Noudelmann will bring many of France’s most innovative performance artists and choreographers to New York for the first time.
The Villa Gillet, based in Lyon (France) is a unique cultural institute interested in thought in all its expressions. It brings together artists, writers, novelists and researchers from all over the world to encourage public debate on the big issues facing the world today. The Villa Gillet is best known for its International Forum on the Novel, co-organized with Le Monde in partnership with national public radio France Inter, held each year at Les Subsistances, a creative research laboratory for live arts, in Lyon.
The Conseil de la Création artistique (the Council of artistic creation) is a laboratory for cultural experimentation created by the French Government in 2009 whose aim is to support innovative projects in the cultural field.
Institut Français (the French Institute)
Les Subsistances is a creative research laboratory for live arts based in Lyon.
Speakers and Artists
Great thinkers from France and across Europe paired with the most important American writers, thinkers and performers.
• Aperture • Austrian Cultural Forum New York • BOMB Magazine • Bookforum • Cabinet • CUNY Graduate School of Journalism • The Cooper Union • The Cultural Services of the French Embassy • Cursor • Dailymotion • Deutsches Haus • Dissent Magazine • France Inter • French-American Foundation • French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF) • Goethe-Institut New York • Greenlight Bookstore • The Happy Ending Music and Reading Series • Harper’s Magazine • The Heyman Center for the Hunamities • The Institute for Public Knowledge at New York University • Instituto Cervantes New York • The Invisible Dog Art Center • Jo's • LIVE from The New York Public Library • The Maison Française at Columbia • McNally Jackson Books • MoustacheBooks • n+1 • The New School • Raison publique • Sciences Po – École des Arts Politiques • The Social Science Research Council • Tin House • UnionDocs...
• The Austrian Cultural Forum
• The Cultural Services of the French Embassy
• French Institute Alliance Française
• The Institute for Public Knowledge
• Instituto Cervantes New York
• The Invisible Dog Art Center
• The Maison Française at Columbia University
• The New School
• The New York Public Library
• The complete program of events will be on our website wallsandbridges.net and inserted in Time Out - New York (October 12th)
• Our new bilingual blog www.villavoice.net will feature portraits and interviews of our guests and also previously unpublished texts.
Programme Walls and Bridges 3 web.pdf
“We build too many walls and not enough bridges.” Isaac Newton